Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Random Thought #2 - My Inner Texas Redneck

I am a Latina who likes country music. Yes, I have an inner Texas redneck in me which comes out every once in a while. Yes, I do say "ya'll" and "fixin to" -- that is normal lingo along with my Spanglish/Spanish lingo.

For the longest time, my inner Texas redneck would lie hidden and would pop out when I listen to my country faves -- George Strait, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Carrie Underwood, etc. I even have started to love some of that old country stuff -- Don Williams, Patsy Cline.

I often wondered where does this inner Texas redneck come from because I certainly did not grow up listening to country. It finally dawned on me tonight.

Have come to conclusion that it comes from my Dad's Mexican rancho/sierra background. I grew up listening to rancheras, corridos, and Durango-type music with the thump, thump sound in the background. This music would drive me insane as a kid. Obviously, I did not appreciate it as much as my dad.

Have discovered that country music is similar to the Spanish stuff I grew up listening to -- so I am my father's daughter, a redneck after all. He's a redneck from la sierra de Durango and I'm one from Texas.

Viva Durango! Viva Tejas!

No comments:

Post a Comment