Sunday, December 21, 2008

Songwriting


Along with many numerous writing goals I have, one of them is to be a songwriter. Tonight I was listening to my country jams on http://www.pandora.com/ (check out this site if you don't know about it), when I heard a song I wish I had written. It's Dierks Bentley's "Gonna Get There Someday" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btTRSeI4d5Y

The simplicity of the words in this song spoke directly to my soul. I stopped what I was doing and listened intently. When I hear a song I like, I always look to see who wrote it. Usually, I want to know the songwriter's inspiration.

Songwriting appeals to me because it allows me to tell a story in a compact way. You have three minutes flat (maybe more or less) to make your point.

I have notebooks strewn about with lines waiting to be sung. Some of these thoughts are complete, sometimes they are just the seed to a story waiting to blossom. Sometimes they are in Spanish or English.

Below are some lines I wrote recently. Who knows they might make into a story or song someday soon?

Making Memories:

Today I woke up and I wanted to make a memory with you...

Nostalgia:

...Esta nostalgia es una compañera que aparece sin aviso y a veces se queda conmigo inesperadamente. Es una compañera que sabe lo tanto que te quise y te ame. La nostalgia es lo único que tengo de recuerdo de nuestro amor. Una nostalgia que no se va porque ahora ella y yo estamos unidas. A veces si me deja sola y puedo olvidar y continuar con mi vida. Pero cuando viene a quedarse conmigo a veces la invito que se quede mas y otras veces le cierro la puerta esperando que se vaya y no regrese. Es a veces un trago amargo o una dulce memoria dependiendo de las circunstancias. A veces si me da un aviso que allí viene pero la mayoría del tiempo viene sin que yo la reconozca y aparece. La nostalgia a veces me mata lentamente...

No comments:

Post a Comment